***note to all: please watch your language when leaving a message...i have young swimmers who may be looking at this! thanks!***

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Houssains

Mmmmm...food. I walked a good half mile and arrived at the big trailer with the bright red "Houssains" on the back. they had what i was craving after a dull, icky, dinner at wycliffe hall (i'm going to come out of this trip fat...they have a horrible diet going for us over here of nothing but meat, potatoes and bread or pasta...ick), and that something was a donner. i was psyched. i walked this half mile in the dark, by myself (no one else wanted to go or had just got back). "yes, please," houssain said as i approached as every other worker at a food establishment asked you when taking your order (probably due to the fact that 'yes' and 'please' are the most common known workds in any language). i flashed a precious smile and asked for my favorite - a donner kebab. it's a turkish sandwich in a poscket like break with lots of veggies (lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, and onions), lamb meat (same meat in gyros) and garlic sauce. although not as good as those in berlin (susanna got me addicted), these will do. houssain starts preparing my donner (pronounced derner) and then come back and told me how much. i handed him some coins and then he repeated the price - i was to pence short! i reached to hand him 10 pence and said tha's ok and gave a sneaky look to his co-worker. "just give me 'nother big smile." i flashed him my cheesiest and he said, "alright, very good!" wrapped my donner up and handied it to me, i flashed another cheesy grin and was on my way.